Fort Lesley J. McNair

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Fort Lesley J. McNair

Washington, D.C.

Military District of Washington insignia

Military base

Site information

Controlled by
United States of America

Site history


In use

Garrison information

MG Jeffrey S. Buchanan, Commanding General, Military District of Washington
Colonel Patrick M. Duggan, Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall Commander

Military District of Washington
National Defense University

Fort Lesley J. McNair is a United States Army post located on the tip of Greenleaf Point, the peninsula that lies at the confluence of the Potomac River and the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C. To the peninsula’s west is the Washington Channel, while the Anacostia River is on its south side. Originally named Washington Arsenal, the fort has been an army post for more than 200 years, third in length of service, after the United States Military Academy at West Point and the Carlisle Barracks.


1 History
2 Current status
3 Tenants

3.1 National Defense University
3.2 Inter-American Defense College
3.3 United States Army Center of Military History

4 See also
5 References
6 External links


Execution of Mary Surratt, Lewis Powell, David Herold, and George Atzerodt on July 7, 1865 in the courtyard of Washington Arsenal (now Fort McNair). Photo by Alexander Gardner.

Military District of Washington Distinctive Unit insignia

The majority of the text in this section appears to have been copied verbatim from the “Fort McNair History” page on the Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall website. Needs additional citations and/or rewriting.

The military reservation was established in 1791 on about 28 acres (110,000 m2) at the tip of Greenleaf Point. Major Pierre (Peter) Charles L’Enfant included it in his plans for Washington, the Federal City, as a major site for the defense of the capital.[1]
An arsenal first occupied the site and defenses were built in 1794. The fortifications did not halt the invading British in 1814. Soldiers at the arsenal evacuated north with as much gunpowder as they could carry, hiding the rest in a well as the British soldiers came up the Potomac from burning t